
***This is a warning to all of you that I wrote a boring blog today. Basically it is my commentary on the Olympics. Enjoy!
Now that the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing have come to a close, I feel the need to write my pointless thoughts about it. I loved these Olympic Games! From the opening ceremonies to the closing ceremonies, I really had such a great time watching and cheering on all the athletes. Sitting in awe and wonder of their skill. I even get a little teary eyed seeing them on the podium listening to the national anthem.
I did watch Michael Phelps go for gold time and time again, shattering world records left and right. I cheered for him and his mother (who BTW is a graduate of Fairmont State) and felt tons of pride as he was named the “Greatest Olympian of All Time.” Vincent joined me in watching the USA Women's gymnastics team win silver. And later in the week Nastia Lukin won the all-around. It also made me happy to see that Shawn Johnston was so supportive of her competitor and friend. And when she won her own metal later in the week I think it made it so much sweeter.
I will admit that I looked closely at the faces of the Chinese team and proclaimed to Vincent in all of my expertise that “those girls are clearly under age!!!” I do not think that I was the only one, but still the Chinese team did an amazing job. And if the team is fact old enough to compete then I apologize but if they are not then SHAME ON YOU!!!! I hope that in fact they are all old enough to compete, it would be sad to see the metals taken away and would tarnish these games.
I love watching the entire American team together; I like to see all the diversity. I like reading about the troubles and issues that people have overcome to get to the Olympics. I will be honest and say that I for one do not have anywhere near the dedication or self control to attempt anything like the Olympics, so when I read about others who make it I am amazed. Then when I read about competitors with extra hardships I feel inspired. One of these athletes is Henry Cejudo who won Gold for the USA in wrestling. Watching his reaction and sheer happiness is so touching, every article I read about him is so patriotic and sappy, but I love it.
Dara Torres proved that you can still complete even at age 41; she won a silver metal in swimming. Bryan Clay won hands-down one of the most grueling sports: the decathlon. The mental and physical toll of competing in 10 events with little to no sleep must be very taxing. Also, I am very happy that the Men’s volleyball won gold. I do not watch volleyball or anything, but the inlaws of the team's coach were attacked in Beijing at the start of the games. His father-in-law was killed and his mother-in-law is still in the hospital. Even though nothing could ever balance losing a family member I wanted to see him smile and celebrate. I was very pleased when he had his chance.
So far I have only really mentioned the American athletes but I do get inspired by other countries. Natalie Du Toit from South Africa lost her leg from the knee down and she competed in the open water swim. She is the first amputee to compete in 100 years. I was very excited for Afghanistan to win their first ever metal! In the USA we don’t mention if we won bronze because it is not good enough, but for Afghanistan to win bronze in taekwondo is amazing. What an accomplishment to even compete and then to get a metal. And Mahboba Ahdyar, the only woman on the Afghani team, running the 1500 meters although see did not make it to the finals, it seemed to me that she really embodied what the Olympic sprint is all about. She must work out in secret, running at the Kabul Stadium where public executions were once held. Since the track is concrete, she does not wear spiked shoes. And if that was not enough she has also received death threats from the Taliban. Yet see gets to compete as an equal with all the other countries. I wished that she would have gone on and won the gold, but just seeing her complete was awesome.
I am also very happy for the Japanese softball team, even though I was cheering for the Americans. It must feel wonderful to win being the underdogs. The Americans have never not won the gold until this year. Watching the Japanese team celebrate by throwing their coach in the air was slightly contagious and very entertaining. I am happy that the Dutch did have a softball team to represent; I think that was the only softball team in Europe at the Olympics. Too bad in 2012 softball is not one of the events.
Vincent was upset that Rock Climbing is not event.
In addition to everything else I am happy that China has won the gold medal count, especially since a little over twenty years ago they had never won a metal in the Summer Olympics. It is an amazing feat. I know that there is tons of controversy over how this was accomplished, but I am making a conscious decision not to address those issues. I will save my rants for another day.
Now that the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing have come to a close, I feel the need to write my pointless thoughts about it. I loved these Olympic Games! From the opening ceremonies to the closing ceremonies, I really had such a great time watching and cheering on all the athletes. Sitting in awe and wonder of their skill. I even get a little teary eyed seeing them on the podium listening to the national anthem.
I did watch Michael Phelps go for gold time and time again, shattering world records left and right. I cheered for him and his mother (who BTW is a graduate of Fairmont State) and felt tons of pride as he was named the “Greatest Olympian of All Time.” Vincent joined me in watching the USA Women's gymnastics team win silver. And later in the week Nastia Lukin won the all-around. It also made me happy to see that Shawn Johnston was so supportive of her competitor and friend. And when she won her own metal later in the week I think it made it so much sweeter.
I will admit that I looked closely at the faces of the Chinese team and proclaimed to Vincent in all of my expertise that “those girls are clearly under age!!!” I do not think that I was the only one, but still the Chinese team did an amazing job. And if the team is fact old enough to compete then I apologize but if they are not then SHAME ON YOU!!!! I hope that in fact they are all old enough to compete, it would be sad to see the metals taken away and would tarnish these games.
I love watching the entire American team together; I like to see all the diversity. I like reading about the troubles and issues that people have overcome to get to the Olympics. I will be honest and say that I for one do not have anywhere near the dedication or self control to attempt anything like the Olympics, so when I read about others who make it I am amazed. Then when I read about competitors with extra hardships I feel inspired. One of these athletes is Henry Cejudo who won Gold for the USA in wrestling. Watching his reaction and sheer happiness is so touching, every article I read about him is so patriotic and sappy, but I love it.
Dara Torres proved that you can still complete even at age 41; she won a silver metal in swimming. Bryan Clay won hands-down one of the most grueling sports: the decathlon. The mental and physical toll of competing in 10 events with little to no sleep must be very taxing. Also, I am very happy that the Men’s volleyball won gold. I do not watch volleyball or anything, but the inlaws of the team's coach were attacked in Beijing at the start of the games. His father-in-law was killed and his mother-in-law is still in the hospital. Even though nothing could ever balance losing a family member I wanted to see him smile and celebrate. I was very pleased when he had his chance.
So far I have only really mentioned the American athletes but I do get inspired by other countries. Natalie Du Toit from South Africa lost her leg from the knee down and she competed in the open water swim. She is the first amputee to compete in 100 years. I was very excited for Afghanistan to win their first ever metal! In the USA we don’t mention if we won bronze because it is not good enough, but for Afghanistan to win bronze in taekwondo is amazing. What an accomplishment to even compete and then to get a metal. And Mahboba Ahdyar, the only woman on the Afghani team, running the 1500 meters although see did not make it to the finals, it seemed to me that she really embodied what the Olympic sprint is all about. She must work out in secret, running at the Kabul Stadium where public executions were once held. Since the track is concrete, she does not wear spiked shoes. And if that was not enough she has also received death threats from the Taliban. Yet see gets to compete as an equal with all the other countries. I wished that she would have gone on and won the gold, but just seeing her complete was awesome.
I am also very happy for the Japanese softball team, even though I was cheering for the Americans. It must feel wonderful to win being the underdogs. The Americans have never not won the gold until this year. Watching the Japanese team celebrate by throwing their coach in the air was slightly contagious and very entertaining. I am happy that the Dutch did have a softball team to represent; I think that was the only softball team in Europe at the Olympics. Too bad in 2012 softball is not one of the events.
Vincent was upset that Rock Climbing is not event.
In addition to everything else I am happy that China has won the gold medal count, especially since a little over twenty years ago they had never won a metal in the Summer Olympics. It is an amazing feat. I know that there is tons of controversy over how this was accomplished, but I am making a conscious decision not to address those issues. I will save my rants for another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment