After we woke up (actually Vincent woke up and dragged me out of bed) we went to a really good friend's house to play games, eat, and catch up with people. When I first moved to Holland several years ago, I went to school. I was fortunate enough to make three REALLY good friends. One of them (Freek) was having a Christmas gathering that night. It was also so nice to get to see Borre, Heko, Renee, and Miluska. We got to catch up on old times and discuss what we are doing. Freek's mother made the most awesome Indonesian food and I ate a ridiculous amount of it. To be honest I don't know what all I ate but it was all good.
We did not stay too late because the next day (Monday) we were meeting up with the whole van Acht family and heading to the Ardennen, an area of Belgium that is in the country. I was hoping to wake up really early on Monday and go to the store since I did not have any gloves. But the stores which were closed on Sunday do not open till 1 on Monday. I do not find this amusing.
I quickly forgot about being annoyed with the mysteries and elusive opening times of the Dutch stores when Vins' brothers and sister arrived with the rental cars. It was very nice to get to see everyone again.
Before long we were all loaded up in the cars and ready to go. After a few really short hours we arrived in Ferrieres where we rented a house for the week of Christmas. This is the second time that we have taken the opportunity to get together at Christmas and rent a house, and we enjoyed it so much the first time that when Vincent and I had the opportunity to once again come over at Christmas we all decided to make it a "van Acht Christmas" part II. The last time we went to Helminghausen in Germany.
The house was perfect. It was an old farm house with 5 bedrooms and 1 shower. The house had so much character. I really liked it. The fire place was super cozy, and the dinning room table was large enough for all of us. It even had a dish washer which was really nice for cleaning up. But since this was in the country, there were cows, which every morning at 9 would start mooing and wake us up. I didn’t bother me because I am a farm girl and all.
The house even had a ping pong table, and everyone played at the same time.
We settled in to the house very quickly, people claiming rooms, and decorated for Christmas, while others located the nearest store to buy provisions for 10 people. And guess what!!! I believe that this store is a Food Lion in disguise. How weird is that?
Anyway the next day (Tuesday) we decided that we should take a day trip in the city of Luxemburg for the fun of it. I was happy because I have never been, and others needed to finish up some Christmas shopping. Once we got into the city we had a bit of a hard time parking and having two vehicles did not make it any easier.
This photo shows the parking full, and just as soon as we pasted it 6 places opened up.
Finally we found a nice place to park, a short walk from the city center. We all took lots of pictures.
An absurd amount really….
This is only the half of it.
It took me a while to drag Vins away from the Cheese shop….
After we were all tired of sight seeing we stopped for hot chocolate and then went to the Christmas Market for food.
Vincent and I opted for the sausage in a bun.
It was a lot of sausage!!!!!
Afterwards, we all headed back to the cars and went home to eat a fast dinner and relax.
The next day was Christmas Eve and the stores would be closing early, and since there is no Wal*Mart around who really knows when they would open back up. I decided to go the store with Lia, Sander (Vins' Brother), and Kim (Sander’s girlfriend). I needed to buy a button for a present that I knitted for Sander and Kim. I looked the day before in Luxemburg but I did not find any sewing stores. Vins couldn't come with us since he was writing an endearing poem to his father (for a Dutch "Sinterklaas" present).
I know that it would be tricky to buy the button with them there, but Vins was not that much into locating the button earlier in the week. I needed to enlist more people in my search. We were able to find a store and I located some really cool yarn in addition to the button. I made all of my purchases filled my bag with my goodies and left.
Later we stopped by a bakery type place to buy a Christmas cake.
And our last stop was at the grocery store and I totally looked like an idiot taking pictures of the meat counter, but look at the meat. It looks so pretty and appetizing. Buy why is it in little cups? Do you eat it raw? I have no idea.
Once we got home we ate a nice dinner and later that night we opened Christmas/Sinterklaas presents. Actually, our official name for the event was called SinterKerst.
A few months ago I blogged about knitting a “TOP SECRET” project, well that project was a baby sweater for Vincent's soon to be niece or nephew. I was very happy to give it to Kim and Sander, but I totally forgot to take pictures of it because I am smooth like that. Anyways, I do have the pattern it is super easy and if I can do it with my totally lacking yarn wielding skills then anyone should be able to do it.
Vins was able to give his gift to Jos. It was a DIY Prostate Examination Kit complete with a witty poem that made everyone laugh.
A few months ago I blogged about knitting a “TOP SECRET” project, well that project was a baby sweater for Vincent's soon to be niece or nephew. I was very happy to give it to Kim and Sander, but I totally forgot to take pictures of it because I am smooth like that. Anyways, I do have the pattern it is super easy and if I can do it with my totally lacking yarn wielding skills then anyone should be able to do it.
Vins was able to give his gift to Jos. It was a DIY Prostate Examination Kit complete with a witty poem that made everyone laugh.
We all received wonderful gifts. And really is was just nice to have the opportunity to have the time to sit and talk with everyone.
I do not what this is, but I liked it.











No comments:
Post a Comment