Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day in Photos

Vins Lucy and Rosy on the couch copy

Although Rosy really wanted to look out of the window all day and Lucy wanted lounge on the couch all today I had other plans. We went to Fairmont WV, cause that is were all the cool kids are at these days, to see Chris and Jessie (the former Greatest Neighbors EVER.)

We have a tradition that every year we go to Jackson’s Mill. Jackson’s Mill is a big craft fair in Weston/Jane Lew, it is held every year on Labor Day weekend. We decided to go to the Jane Lew fair this year instead of the one in Jackson's Mill, mainly because it is free and last year the people working the gate were too stupid for words!!! Word of advice, your cashier needs to know what 8 times 4 equals. It is no wonder they went bankrupt.

First we went to eat at the Hickory House BBQ (AKA the Smokey Log)  for lunch. It was very good, but I still think that Randy White’s BBQ is the best ever. I love the atmosphere of BBQ eateries. I like the smoky smell and the way it clings to you. I like the randomness of the decor on the walls. And most of all I love BBQ. I ordered my staple BBQ meal, the pulled pork sandwich, and I was not disappointed. Like I said it was not the best, but for West Virginia BBQ I am not complaining. And those garlic mash potatoes were really good.

menudecoryummy lunchall gone

After our wonderful lunch we made our way to the actual town of Jane Lew. The fair was in the fire station and the park. It looked like a tent city and there were hundreds of people milling around looking at all the crafts.

jane lew park sign

tents

I love going to this fair, honestly you never know what you are going to see. I love seeing all these people who are proud of the things they make, especially people who make tacky things. I feel like we are in a special “club”. I always want to buy the ugliest things and bring them home. I feel that only I am able to fully appreciate that particular craft’s uniqueness.  I saw sock puppets, painted rocks, Kleenex cozies, wind chimes made of silverware, WVU paraphernalia out the wah-zoo, and a host of other things. There was one guy who was selling out-of-focus aerial pictures of WV trailers in the fall time for $50.

There are also tons of venders selling things that a more mainstream market would appreciate: lots of jewelry vendors who make some pretty awesome things on the spot, lots of pottery makers, a few painters. There were several authors who were selling their books, of course people selling home-made soap, lotions, candles, and face creams. There are basket weavers, carpenters, and glass blowers.

framesYou can see in the background all of the fireman suits. And all these frames were recycled barn wood.

flowers with turkeyThis vendor made floral arrangements with stuffed animals hidden in the foliage. This was the prettiest one, I wish I would have got the Christmas/Valentine’s Day wreath with the stuffed moose head coming out of the center. It was priceless.

bear rugI thought that it would be very romantic to have a bear skin rug, but Vins thought that the weenie dogs would be terrified of it. And since we do not have a fireplace to go along with it would be like eating chips without the salsa if you know what I mean.  Notice the skunk hat?

wooden owlI wanted to get this for my Grandma who collects owls, but it was like $1000 and weighed about 2oo pounds, not to mention it is huge and I didn’t want it sitting in my apartment until Christmas.

quiltsLook at all these place mats!!! They are all home-made, I love it.

grandma getting a tattooChris, Jessie, Vins and I  wanted to get matching fake tattoos in solidarity to remember the day by, but all the Grandmas were getting tats and the line was too long...maybe next year.

klassy 

women and tomahack Woman throwing a tomahawk!!!

fire truckI thought fire trucks were red?

jelly pumpkin and apple butter This was all we bought this year. Last year I bought a super cool magnet for Courtney and a spoon that was recycled in to a ring that turned my whole ringer a funky green color.  Vins was terrified that I was going to buy a dream catcher or purse that was once a pair of jeans.

pumpkin butter breadI have already eaten half the jar of pumpkin butter. Yummy!

1 comment:

italgalmm said...

I have to say... I LOVE LOVE LOVE the quality of your pictures.. What kind of camera do you use?...

P.S.
Love the Hillbilly Bubble Bath "Beads/ Beans"